Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday 31 December 2017

Happy New Year - and 2017 in review

Happy New Year out there - may you have a great , happy and healthy year in 2018.



2017 hobby wise has been a really a good year with lots going on. In the AHPC 7 I completed my Mahdist forces for the Sudan - This years through Challenge 8 while not completing everything else it will leave me with only the last dregs of it to do.

5 years after starting I played out the Battle of El Teb with the guys from the Old Guard club .



I took a Sudan game on tour as well at Hammerhead and both Partisan shows and had a load of fun playing and talking to people.



The loose association that is the Old Guard wargame club continues to thrive and we have managed a meet up every 4-6 weeks through the year for a days gaming - and I have made most of them .The Club project we did of the 10mm ACW game we put on in November felt like a good achievement. We are trying to work out a 2018 project at the moment - but its like herding cats ... with dementia...

.
Jame,me, John,Martin,Pete,Angus, Steve - "The Old Guard"
As a group we played a couple of games of Flame of War WW2 Normandy with Jame collection. Martin put on a cracking VBCW , Pete gave us WW1 aircraft , and we played my cowboys too..

the new man cave has come to fruition

from this
The business end - plenty of painting space 

completed with a gaming table! - more business to be done on this during this year 

I also attended the Crisis show - again meeting up with a bunch of friends around the blog-o-sphere - i will be back there next year.
i agree with Curt the venue does look like bombed out U boat pen.

Me, RobP, ChristoperS, JakeK, Jerry & Christine Miller, Nick, Curt and Mikef
Curt, Chris,Nick,Stefan and Sid

As for 2018 - plans are:-
Painting and modelling
1- get the last major units fro the Sudan collection done
2- Do some confederate ACW for my 10mm - and maybe bump up the Union forces too.
3- The 1/300th modern forces that have been massed to get some games in - first one planned 13th Jan
4- Complete a 15mm WW2 American force.

Shows and Gaming
1) Regular gaming with the Old Guard - look like Wings of Glory WW1 and WW2 will feature here. - i will run a couple of large games for the lads too.
2)- attend the Crisis show and Battleground - not sure at all about others due to date clashes by the look if it.
3) Sort out running the full big Sudan game


As for other things , i am sure dealing with newly arrived grandson Harry James will provide plenty of other distractions - i was told "please don't turn him into a geek!" - my mission over the next years is of course clear!




Happy New Year - everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Dave, you've had a great one by the look of it. Looking forward to seeing what you geek out with in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you Dave. I'm sure Grandads toys will be far more interesting than his in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Paul - I think may be right

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year Dave! It was a pleasure to meet you at Crisis and of course thank you again for the following ‚reinforcements‘ that were sent my way shortly after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bah! The highlight of your year was surely listening to me moan about the noisy Mad Max game at Hammerhead :)

    If I ever find out if I'm persona non grata, or not, with some of the Old Guard, I might get back to playing at Scruton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes . I seem to have wiped that memory. You are welcome any time at a game We care doing in Scruton

      Delete
    2. I'll see if I can gain access to the FB page. Its the only way that I can see when a day is to be held, but I just don't want to be the cause of any drama on it, again. To that end I probably won't join in with a group project.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, Dave. Hopefully I'll get up North over the next twelve months and see you in person - and your marvellous Sudan collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get your passport sorted. I will warn the border patrol

      Delete
    2. Simon (Blaxkleric). If you do come up North (before I get down South - ah, just remembered Bournemouth show) let us know would you and I'll try my hardest to pop by and say hello.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year Dave! I've enjoyed every single Sudan post and one day hope to experience your collection in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year
    That little elf is gorgeous, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent stuff ... happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very succeful 2017 imho and I hope you get to have an at least as succesful 2018. It's been a pleasure and a privelige to see your games this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy new year Dave , I think you’ll find geeks rule the world so it is no bad thing. Looking forward to catching up sometime during the year 😀

    ReplyDelete