Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Monday 10 March 2014

Mahdist Cavalry

I have finished up the cavalry elements for the Mahdist forces required for my 2nd El Teb battle. These are made up of 12 Baggara Cavalry and 6 more Beja Camel to add the 6 I already have.

These are all Perry figures. I must say the standard of casting was awful , with lots of worms and lines and some pitting. If I had not had some of them so long in the lead pile I would have sent them back.

On the Baggara I replaced the "chocolate fireguard" bendy spears supplied with the casting with some piano wire one that I shaped the end of into a point and then soldered them in to the riders hands.




I have also completed another leader for them as well






So that's the hard work done for the Sudan - the masses of the Mahdists. Time to move to some colonials .Now of course the 9th Bengal Lancers Hodson's horse were not at El Teb , but i fancy doing something a bit interesting as well. So i am going to be using Peter Gilder figures here - the Connoisseur range ones and doing some full on conversions on the units.

so here is a starter, the soldering iron has been out again. The one on the left is the original casting



No comments:

Post a Comment