Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday 8 January 2012

"Heads up, gentlemen, these are bullets, not turds". Colonel Major Louis Lepic

I created this rendition of the commander of the Grenadiers à Cheval de la Garde Impériale as depicted by Édouard Detaille something like 15 years ago. This was one of my very first attempts at creating something unique and have always enjoyed looking at it!



He was originally modelled with winter groundwork as per the battle of Eylau , but has been changed over to years to see "active" service on the table - as if the "Gods" actually needs any extra help usually! 



The base casting was a Bicorne miniatures Carabinier if i remember correctly which had a fair bit of work on it to bend and twist (- heated it up in an oven  to get that little more pliability - seemed to work) and to get the uniform right . The horse also has all its furniture removed and replaced with wire, head turned and tail moved.

As I have decided to create the Grenadiers à Cheval sometime this year ( a full 40 figure Grand Manner unit) and I will find it inspiring looking at him, and look forward to doing them all the more.

Thanks Stephen for the "loan" - you might not get him back - I might hold him to ransom!

3 comments:

  1. Great rendition of that famous painting. Only thing - you need to have snow for the basing. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work!! A unit of these guys will look very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave,
    Very nice capture of the pic,

    I have them filed and based up tp paint this year too!!! I believe yours will be done before mine!
    Cheers
    Paule

    ReplyDelete