Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Sunday 11 December 2011

Something got me started.....

Back on on the Colonial period. I have been badgering Mark at the WHC about doing something different such as a Sudan game,so following reading the write up of the playtest of the Reigate clubs rules I decided to make some effort to get my own collection moving. I had these once before but sold it on, "everything has a price" as I say. The newer ranges of Perry miniatures have caught my eye (I have not traditionally liked the older shorter, squatter stuff). They are excellent figures.

Well might as well start at the top. The Mahdi - why can't I get the Laurence Olivier voice out of my head. I find the scenario for the relief of Khartoum fascinating. The British commander has to move driven by time constraints, and not just bring to bear overwhelming firepower if they wait long enough.


These are undercoated in Humbrol Matt White, a change from the usual, but you have to use the the best option for the job in hand.Why make work hard for yourself , make the base paint do some work. The whites are shaded with Andrea Color White clothes sets , a mix of 6 colours , which work really well for these. The base of the flesh is Humbrol 62 Leather, and this is highlighted with Vallejo Dark Flesh only to keep the tones dark.

Basing is really simple.White PVA  glue covered with my usual sand, cat litter, budgie grit mix, allowed to dry and drybrushed using a Vallejo White. A bit of "tree" added made from a piece of the beech hedge in the garden. The grasses are by Noch and are a dried summer grass matting from which I have just cut a small bit and stuck it on.

This will be a long term project to build these armies up. I am going to try a box of the plastics Ansar to see how they make up. The smell of plasitc glue will take me right back to the early days of making Airfix kits. Oh and having signed up to Curt's  Analogue Hobbies winter painting challenge they may come in handy!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely piece. I like the contrasting colors - the basic whites and the colorful patterns on the vests. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just beautiful. Really like they way the whites work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just fantastic. brilliant colours and again some breathtaking basing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, good luck in the Comp. I joined it as well, now best start following your blog to keep an eye on you ;-)

    Lee Sharpe gave me a heads up after reading on my blog that I had joined. Both of us know Lee, small world as Lee said.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking figures and great painting. More please!

    ReplyDelete