Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Vive l'empereur!

Almost, more accurately "First Consul" , in "Crossing the Alps" in 1800. I have had this figure in bare form for at least 10 years. If I remember correctly this was a limited edition low number release from Wargames Foundary for a charity support appeal.

It is a two part casting with the top half of Napoleon with cape as one part and bottom part and the horse as another. These two I decided to drill and pin together for security. The horse had its two front feet cut free as it is fairly sturdy so should should be OK unless handled carelessly.


Very few of the colours used here are straight out of the pot as I wanted to really work on it. so lots of little shades and highlights. For the cape colour I went for a more utilitarian brown shade rather than the variety of reds, and oranges etc which reference research seem to show.



The only really fiddly bit was the wild staring eyes on the horse, created by making the whole eyeball white and ensuring that when the black centre was added white was left showing . It seemed to work effectively.

1 comment: